I have to label this as a "birthday cake" because if I think of a traditional "birthday cake" flavor it would taste and smell like this cake. You know the cake batter ice cream from cold stone... ya it tastes like that ...... MMMMMM
okay I have now wiped off the drool from my face and I am back...
It is such an easy recipe that can be adapted to so many other cakes. This is definitely a cake worth pinning and to remember because you can adapt the fillings, the cake mix, and the frosting. It takes a regular boxed cake mix up to a whole new level.
My talented friend made the basic version of this cake for my Gender Reveal cake and I thought I died and went to heaven and I knew I
Let's get started...
PS DON'T LET ALL THE DIRECTIONS SCARE YOU. THIS CAKE IS WORTH ALL THE WORK!!
White Chocolate Cake:
*** This recipe will only make a 2 layer 8 inch cake so I doubled this recipe for a 3 layer cake plus 12 cupcakes.
- Duncan Hines white cake mix
- 3.3. oz white chocolate instant pudding box mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup water
Mix all the ingredients together and bake according to the box. (sometimes it may take a little longer)
Whipped White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
I got the recipe for the frosting from Comfortably Domestic and it is the BEST frosting EVER. For the recipe and step by step instructions with pictures Click HERE.
DECORATING THE CAKE:
- After my cakes completely cooled I layered one 8 inch cake with frosting and added a few crumbled up oreos in a very thin layer and then added the next layer of cake. I repeated this until I had 3 layers of cake.
- Once this was done I dirty iced the cake (a quick coat of frosting to keep in the crumbs) and popped it into the fridge to slightly harden.
- While the dirty ice is setting, mash up as many oreos as you wish to use as garnish on top of the cake.
- Pull out the cake and finish frosting and add the oreos as a garnish.